Sunday, April 20, 2008

Someone once asked me (actually a few people have) "what have u learnt from working at the convenience store?" My answer ofcourse is NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. I mean I can go along the "perfect/ model" answer and bullshit - oh yes, I have learnt alot, how to manage accounts, how to handle hard customers, chit chat with customers and bla fucking blah ! but when alls said and done, all that is just crap cause if I still have to "learn" how to keep accounts and talk to customers, I must as well blast myself back to primary or secondary school... (and I'm not saying that I'm perfect at any of this, just that I haven't LEARNT it as a new skill, but just improved on already innate skills.

I have worked there for a month now, and what can I say? I has been a loooong month (or quite short come to think about it.) I did not even realised till my dad told me.. and I guess if there is any lesson I've learnt is I guess the importance of money and hardness to MAKE money. I'm not saying I'm a spoilt bastard or what (and I can gladly say that my monthly expenses can be considered one of the lowest amongst friends, given that I don't buy branded clothes or eat out often. I only realised I had 2 G-Star Raw shirts in my closet cause I'm guessing my sis or mum stuffed them in there [as a 21st surprise????]. However, I will go on to say that I could better my spending habits.

In the past it was just like no money than ask and it shalt be given, hence i did not really bother much about the hardness of earning $ (and honestly, the 7-11 parttime job was just bullshit. at $4 an hour... my freaking monthly allowance pays me more than that crap, so i guess it was more of a sideline for fun job cause i was still gettting my allowance then.) In Beijing for 3months, though I got 100sing a month, I had my dads atm card, which meant much more then a 100 a month, and in ChuiZHou for the last 5months OIAP, lets just say I was living like a king... though I got only 600sing a month.

NOW however, my only source of income is 50bux a day for TEN HOURS which is about a 1000 a month with no allowance. I guess its not THAT hard of work, but the pay is not that high either. But at 50bux a day, I really REALLY REALLLLLY consider VERY fucking carefully before I spend. Rob told me that day that 8bux was nothing for the rental of a graduation gown, but i think different (i mean 8bux really is nothing, but its jut poly diploma for crinyg out loud... and not that Im a GPA 4.0 scholar, which is why I don't feel that its worth spending the 8bux for the gown... for my first degree perhaps... but for poly, its a NONO) its like giving an amateur a Leica (giving an amarteur a $4000 camera.., obviously he/she will turn out crappy photos and underuse the thing, just like I will be underusing my poly gradgown/ 8bux WHICH takes my slightly over 1.5hours to earn). Then last week I ate at some atas place at vivo.... freaking $70 for japanese FINEdining crap dinner.. which consisted of like 5 or 6 dishes and not like 5 or 6 maincourse, 5 or 6 pieces of sushi.... u get the deal...

SO if there is something I learnt from working?? I guess its how to be more CHEAPSKATE. I'm beginning to understand my dad a little... and I guess the saying 'like father; like son' is somewhat true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

>